How To: Installing Google Analytics
- January 5, 2018
- Google Marketing, Tips and Tricks
Have you been looking for a way to track the traffic on your business’s website and better understand the behavior of your customers? If so, Google Analytics may just be the perfect tool for you!
Google Analytics allows business owners to view a real-time overview of the traffic on their website – where the users are located, how long they are on the website, and even the top active page. There are even tools within Google Analytics that allow business owners to view certain demographics about their users as well as track sources, conversions and bounce rates.
If you want to know more about your potential customers and how to improve the way they are interacting with your website, follow these simple steps to get Google Analytics installed on your website:
- Login to your Google account
- Navigate to analytics.google.com
- Select Admin, which is represented by a wheel in the lower left-hand corner of the screen
- Setup a new account
- Make sure website is selected
- Fill in the Account Name
- Fill in the Website Name
- Fill in the Website URL
- Select the Industry Category and Reporting Time Zone
- Select Get Tracking ID
- Scroll down on the page to the box under Global Site Tag (gtag.js)
- Copy the entire code you see in the box
The setup process has now been completed within Google. You will now need to open a new tab and navigate to and login to the backend of your WordPress website, where you will complete the rest of the steps:
- Find Appearance on the left sidebar
- Find Editor on the Appearance drop down menu
- Once the Editor page is open, find the Theme Header (header.php) on the right sidebar
- In the box that contains the header code, search for the tag </head>
- Insert the Google Analytics Global Site Tag immediately above the </head> tag
Once you have saved the additional of the Global Site Tag in the header of your website, go back to the Google Analytics tab and select the Send Test Traffic button above the box where you originally copied the tracking code. If Google Analytics has been installed correctly, you should see within Analytics that there is an active user on your website.
As Digital Marketing and SEO experts, our team at Connection Inc. uses tools like Google Analytics to help our clients grow their business online. If you would like more information, set up your free consultation today!
A thriving Canadian entrepreneur. A loving father and husband. A blossoming philanthropist. The CEO of an innovative Digital Marketing Agency. Johnstone has mastered the art of digital marketing on numerous platforms (Facebook, Google, YouTube, Instagram - to name a few) which has given him the unique ability to assist hundreds of loan officers, realtors, lawyers, financial planners, and insurance agents with growing their businesses online. He continues to grow his skills and hone his craft and is ready to bring you up to speed on the latest and greatest in the digital marketing world!
About us and this blog
We are a digital marketing company with a focus on helping our customers achieve great results across several key areas.
Request a free
one-on-one marketing consultation with our team of digital marketing experts
Subscribe to our newsletter!
More from our blogSee all posts
- Benefits of Using AI in Marketing Your Business February 28, 2023
- How To Book Your Calendar Solid November 30, 2022
- Special Guests on the Loan Officer Wealth Podcast October 26, 2022